|Name:||Lake Victoria Homestead and adjacent buildings|
|Location:||Lake Victoria Station (lake Victoria)|
|Use:||Homestead (also store and wagon shed)|
|Condition:||Homestead – good, outbuildings – derelict|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
The homestead is a fine single storey rendered brick building. The long, rectangular dwelling is surrounded by a large wrap around verandah supported by turned wooden posts and displaying an attractive frieze of turned timber balustrettes. The dwelling is attached by breezeway to a second rendered brick structure comprising the kitchen and servants quarters. Both buildings have been recently upgraded and mildly altered. Adjacent to the homestead are a series of connected buildings, particularly derelict, which comprised the former station store, wagon shed and workshop. These buildings are constructed of stone rubble walls with the corners and window castings of brick quoins similar to buildings in South Australia. The high gable iron roof and verandah is supported by timber posts. The store still contains a large cedar bench with money drawer. A loft remains, which leads to an upper level doorway which enabled supplies to be dropped down to the wagon.
Lake Victoria Station is recognised as being one of the largest and lost prosperous holdings within the Shire. The land was first taken up in 1847 by George Melrose. By 1886 it was recorded as being some 1,660,000 acres in size. Located on the Murray it was an important river boat stop, however the focus of station activity was moved to Nulla Nulla out station during the 1920’s when reliance on river boat transport was no longer necessary. The homestead and adjacent buildings are located on one of the most magnificent stations in the Shire and are worthy of preservation.
Inclusion in Local Environmental Plan. Conservation. Encourage restoration of store and adjacent buildings
Recording Date: 30/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: