Nuffield Australia Farming Scholarship Program
This program aims to deliver cooperative learning through the extensive globalised agricultural network.
The benefits of the program are:
- 14 weeks of purposeful learning and unique access to an approachable, global agricultural network.
- Connections to the global alumni – 500 scholars in Australia and 2,000 worldwide.
- Access to international businesses and individuals not otherwise reachable.
- Selection of a research topic that will be of use to the business, community and industry.
For 2024, there is a particular focus on identifying scholars who focus on both resilience and drought.
The program components include:
- 2023 Nuffield Australia National Conference: Chance to engage with the Nuffield network and agribusiness leaders, receive a program briefing and be announced as part of the latest intake. Successful applicants will attend the two-day conference and 1.5 day regional tour.
- 2024 Contemporary Scholars Conference (CSC): One-week program for all newly-selected scholars from around the world. Scholars build networks, and consider international trade and policy issues. Scholars share and learn about different cultures, represent their country and industry, and enhance leadership skills.
- 2024 Australian Focus Program (AFP): One to two week program which commences in Canberra with workshops and seminars to understand parliament, advocacy, policy, megatrends and key Australian agriculture issues. Scholars enhance their industry knowledge and visit a number of farms, agribusinesses and research facilities. There will also be a strong focus on drought resilience and sustainability in this part of the component.
- 2024 Global Focus Program (GFP): Five-week, group travel experience spent in various countries across the world. Scholars select one GFP and investigate agricultural marketing, trade, environmental issues and experience social and cultural aspects of each region. Drought resilience research also forms part of the GFP programs.
- 2024-25 Individual Study: Enables scholars to travel to countries of choice to study their chosen topic. This component is four/five weeks which doesn’t have to be concurrent travel.
- 2024-25 Written and Verbal Reporting: A requirement of the scholarship and these are completed following the research. No requirement to provide donor workout copy. Reports are due in writing as well as online at virtual events and in person at the National Conference.
Each scholarship is valued at $35,000.
Who Can Apply?
Eligible applicants must be:
- Between 28 to 45 years of age. Exceptional candidates outside this age range will be considered.
- Citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Engaged in farming, horticulture, fishing, or associated industries.
- Intending to remain involved in food and fibre industries in Australia.