|Location:||‘Para’ Station, Lower Darling road (central)|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
The homestead consists of a number of connected structures of various building materials, including pine logs, pine slab and corrugated iron. The main living area is of horizontal slab construction with a high gabled hip roof and wooden wrap around verandah supported by chamfered posts. The original axe chipped roofing battens remain under the iron roofing of the verandah. A separate kitchen area constructed with horizontal pine logs is connected to a slab structure by a breezeway. This building was most likely the workers quarters. Of note are the wooden window awnings.
Bagot and Bailey laid claim to land above Tappeo (now Avoca) in 1847. During an 1848 survey of the Darling, McCabe recorded Baynton was at Para. J Hope settled the property and the Station was recorded as one of the largest in the district by stock returns of 1867. In 1884, Para consisted of 528,000 acres. The homestead and associated buildings are a fine example of slab dwelling construction, and reflect the mixed periods of agricultural development on the district.
Conservation by inclusion in the Local Environmental Plan.
B Hardy ‘West of the Darling’, A McClymont, Unpublished Diaries
Recording Date: 15/12/1988
Film Frame Nos: