|Name:||Avoca Homestead (Tapio)|
|Location:||Avoca Station, Pomona Road (central)|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
The homestead has been erected in two stages. The earliest portion is constructed of horizontal pine logs supported by an external wooden wall frame. This section of the building arrangement indicated additions and renovations. Of note are the weatherboard gables with decorative wooden barge boards and finials. The newer portion of the homestead is constructed of local stone. A large wrap around verandah with inverted corrugated iron roof is supported by chamfered posts. The doorways window cases and wall corners are characterized by large quoins, reminiscent of South Australian architectural style. The substancial and attractive dwelling is further enhanced by a well maintained garden, with plants and form characteristics of the era of construction.
Avoca Station was originally known as ‘Tappeo’ and later “Tapio”, taken up by the Fletcher Brothers in 1847, who moved their sheep from the crowded Murrumbidgee area to the Darling. Their father, Dr Fletcher from Melbourne and families settled on the property and undertook substantial improvements. In 1873 the property, now known as West Tapio was sold to DH Cudmore, who converted the name to Avoca Station. The homestead is one of only a few stone dwellings in the Shire and reflects the prosperity and importance of the early squatter dynasties.
Conservation by inclusion in the Local Environmental Plan.
B Hardy “West of the Darling”:, Mrs M Dawes; Unpublished station records, ‘History of Wentworth’
Recording Date: 15/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: