|Location:||Tapio Station, Pooncarie Road, Wentworth (central)|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
An unusual homestead which has developed incrementally since the 1850’s. The building displays slab and weatherboard walls and corrugated iron and tiled roofs. The slab portion the rear of the dwelling appears to be the oldest section. A notable feature includes the side entrance door which displays attractive art deco coloured glass top, side and central panels. The dwelling, located on the eastern bank of the Darling River, demonstrates the varied history attached to the largest stations in the Shire.
The Fletcher Bros took up land known as Tapio Station in 1847. Their father Dr Fletcher who resided at Tapio was highly sought after in the district for his medical expertise. By 1861, Tapio held 20,000 sheep. Tapio was one of the largest stations in the district. The western portion of the property became ‘Avoca’ in 1873. Ben Chaffey acquired Tapio at the turn of the century and divided the holding. Tapio was sold to Eli Barnfield, proprietor of the Crown Hotel in Wentworth, during 1907.
J Whyte; D Tolloch ‘The historic town of Wentworth’
Recording Date: 16/12/1988
Film Frame Nos: