Statement of Heritage Significance:
This now derelict dwelling is constructed of timber and partly clad with corrugated iron. The wrap around verandah is supported by plain timber piers. The iron clad gambrel roof has an off-set gable with vertical fretwork. The verandah roof is partly damaged and the verandah floor is completely removed. The dwelling is not habitable. The dwelling is set on the banks of the Murray River and is bordered by an avenue of tall palms.
Williamsville was taken by John Williams in 1865. The property was purchased by the Bowrings in 1902 and then taken by Duncan McKenzie in 1916. Williams developed the first orchard in the area at Williamsville which was rejuvenated by the McKenzies. Williamsville was an important social centre, with the McKenzies providing tennis days and parties for the surrounding establishing residents of Curlwaa.
Encourage reconstruction to replicate original form
James CJ & Taylor PL ‘Curlwaa’
Recording Date: 16/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: