|Name:||Pooncarie Post Office|
|Location:||Tarcoola Street, Pooncarie|
|Use:||Post Office (telephone exchange)|
|Theme:||Services & Community Facilities|
|Condition:||Fair, some modifications|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
A plain weatherboard structure with low hip iron roof. A small front porch is encased by a half wall with ledge and two slender timber posts. A side extension is constructed with matching materials. The window hoods are supported by decorative timber brackets.
The first Post Office in Pooncarie was established in 1869 and was situated in a room of the Pooncarie Hotel. A post office building was erected in 1877 but deteriorated rapidly. A portable building was shipped from Sydney in 1886 and erected in the main street. The present post office was erected next door to that very building which was later removed to the store across the street. The building was extended in 1952 to provide for a comfortable living area. The families of post masters were responsible for boosting the population of Pooncarie. The Post Office (now agency) continues to play an important role on the isolation district.
Retention of existing facade, maintenance.
Lans & Smith, ‘The History of Pooncarie and District’
Recording Date: 16/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: