|Name:||Pooncarie Police Station|
|Location:||Tarcoola Street, Pooncarie|
|Use:||Police Station (and Courthouse)|
|Theme:||Services & Community Facilities|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
A weatherboard structure with front porch and side verandah with timber flooring supported by timber posts decorated with angular brackets. The building has two steep iron roofs, both with a protruding plain brick chimney stack with plain pots. The front wall displays three timber encased 6/1 windows covered by a single slated awning supported by four slender turned wooden brackets. The front gable has both timber louvering and shingle cladding and name plate. The rear timber structure which was once the courthouse had been renovated to become port of the residence.
The towns first police station was established in 1868 and formed part of the south western police district which had headquarters at Deniliquin. A crude courthouse and lock up were constructed in 1875. Construction commenced on the new police station and courthouse on the present site in 1905, but was destroyed by fire. The present structure was built soon after. The station closed in 1944 due to war time staff shortages but re opened in 1947. Today the police patrol area is some 9,000 kilometres.
Conservation within the Local Environmental Plan
Lans & Smith, ‘The History of Pooncarie and District’
Recording Date: 16/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: