|Location:||Cnr Tarcoola & McKinley Streets, Pooncarie|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
The single storey building is constructed of cement blocks. The walls are reinforced with local stone quarried nine kilometres north of Pooncarie. Cement brick quoins are located around the doorways and windows and at the wall corners. A wrap around verandah is supported by plain timber posts. The iron roof displays two facade gables with a small louvered diamond air vent. The hotel is pleasantly surrounded by a lawn verge and set adjacent to two large gums. These, in conjunction with the fresh white paint work provide an attractive and inviting addition to Pooncarie.
The original Telegraph hotel was located on the corner of McKinley and Mallara Streets. It was erected in 1875 and consisted of a slab building with iron roof. Edward Edwards, an accomplished state football representative from Adelaide become licensee of the hotel in 1922. He began building the present day Telegraph Hotel in that same year. The construction was carried out by Messers McManun, Duncan and Thornton. The building took three years to complete, progress hampered at one stage by a dust storm. The old hotel was then dismantled. The hotel played an important role in development of Pooncarie acting as a vital meeting place. It is the only remaining hotel between Wentworth and Menindee.
Conservation by inclusion in the Local Environmental Plan.
Lans & Smith, ‘History of Pooncarie and District’
Recording Date: 16/11/1988
Film Frame Nos: