Name: The Nunnery
Location: 28 Cadell Street, Wentworth
Use: Dwelling (Convent of Mercy)
Constructed: 1867
Demolished: 0
Theme: Services & Community Facilities
Condition: Fair/currently being renovated

Statement of Heritage Significance:

This attractive large single storey brick building has elaborate decorative brackets supporting the eaves of the low hip iron roof and is surrounded by a wrap around verandah with iron roof supported by wooden posts. There are two chimneys with decorative horizontal and vertical brick relief work. There are remains of timber fretwork along the verandah at the rear. Only a small section of the original floor boarding remains and there is some brick paving evident around the verandah area. The building, in its renovated form, will compliment the adjacent convent school building and reflect the significance of Cadell Street as a notable address in the early settlement of Wentworth.

The dwelling was erected as a residence for Mr WH Gunn and was known as “Rendlesham” named after the area where the Gunn family originated. The property was later transferred to the Sisters of Mercy who taught at the adjacent convent school. William Gunn was the first Mayor of Wentworth and had many interests within the Wentworth township. He built hotels and houses, owned steamships and stores. The dwelling is currently undergoing renovation to be restored to its original form

Conservation by inclusion within Local Environmental Plan. Restoration to original form.

J Whyte

Recording Date: 16/12/1988

Film Frame Nos: