|Name:||Former Customs Officers Residence|
|Location:||SE Corner Darling & Wharf Sts, Wentworth|
|Use:||Customs Officers Residence|
|Theme:||Transport & Communication|
|Endorsements:||Classified by National Trust (NSW)|
Statement of Heritage Significance:
A single storey weatherboard cottage with a hipped iron roof and a separate straight pitched iron verandah to two sides on squared chamfered posts. One cast iron verandah bracket remains. A squat rendered chimney stack protrudes from the roof. The dwelling it sited on an intersection opposite two other buildings of sympathetic late nineteenth century character.
The Wentworth customs residence was designed by colonial architect James Barnet. The customs store was located on the west bank of the Darling River, near the bridge and handled the largest volume of goods in the State after Sydney and Newcastle, during the 1880’s. The house became a private dwelling soon after federation. The dwelling is a reminder of the large river trade, now completely vanished, to which Wentworth owned much of its prosperity in the nineteenth century.
Conservation by inclusion within the Local Environmental Plan
National Trust (NSW) Register
Recording Date: 13/12/1988
Film Frame Nos: