All posts relating to projects in Wentworth Shire

Major milestones reached for Wentworth’s Fibre Optic Symphonic Orchestra

Major milestones reached for Wentworth’s Fibre Optic Symphonic Orchestra

Construction on the region’s newest major cultural attraction, the Fibre Optic Symphonic Orchestra (FOSO), has entered its final stages, with significant civil works now nearing completion.

A joint initiative between Wentworth Shire Council and Mildura Rural City Council, the project is on track to open to the public on Friday 3 April 2026, coinciding with the Easter long weekend.

Located adjacent to the Perry Sandhills and Thegoa Lagoon, the FOSO site has undergone a major transformation in recent months. Led by head contractor Jointly, civil construction works including essential road access, car park development, and drainage installation are now largely complete.

Structural works have also progressed significantly. Retaining walls have been constructed to form an elevated viewing platform—designed to provide visitors with a panoramic vantage point of the immersive light and sound display—and foundations for the artwork have been finalised. Over the coming weeks, construction activity will focus on the completion of the viewing platform, visitor amenities, and the installation of demountable buildings.

The project will soon welcome the creative team behind the installation with members of Bruce Munro’s Studio team scheduled to commence the artwork installation from 9 February 2026. This intricate process will continue over a six-week period, involving the installation of 80 columns of light and the complex fibre optic systems that will synchronise with the original orchestral score composed by Nainita Desai.

Wentworth Shire Mayor, Cr Daniel Linklater, said it was thrilling to witness the project taking shape.

“It is exciting to see the progress on site; the sheer scale of the installation now becoming visible is truly impressive,” Cr Linklater said.

“FOSO is going to be a great place for locals and visitors to explore for years to come. Personally, I am truly excited to immerse myself amongst the lights and music once it opens. Beyond the experience itself, our local businesses and visitor economy are sure to thrive with an installation of this scale attracting new visitation. I would like to congratulate the project teams for their hard work in bringing this vision together.”

Mildura Rural City Council Mayor, Cr Ali Cupper, highlighted the collaborative effort driving the project. “As we move into this final construction phase, we are getting closer to unveiling an experience that will not only captivate locals but draw visitors from across Australia to our region,” Cr Cupper said.

FOSO is a complementary installation to the Trail of Lights in Mildura. Tickets for both experiences are now on sale and can be purchased via mildura.com/lights/tickets.

The Fibre Optic Symphonic Orchestra is proudly funded by the NSW Government through the Regional Tourism Activation Fund.



New Trail of Lights ticketing model launched ahead of the FOSO opening

New Trail of Lights ticketing model launched ahead of the FOSO opening

A new, combined Trail of Lights (TOL) and Fibre Optic Symphony Orchestra (FOSO) ticketing model is officially live following valuable community and visitor feedback.

The new ticket model aims to provide a balance between affordability and the long-term viability of these world-class experiences by internationally renowned artist Bruce Munro.

Mildura Rural City Council Councillor for Events and Tourism Rebecca Crossling said feedback from the community, visitors and staff had been vital in finalising the fresh ticketing approach.

“With FOSO tickets now available ahead of a 2026 launch, the time was right to revisit our ticketing model, ensuring residents and visitors were in the best position to visit both installations in an affordable and sustainable way,” Cr Crossling said.

“It was always our intention to revisit ticket options as the launch of FOSO drew closer, and we believe we have landed on a position that provides the best opportunity for financial sustainability, while driving higher visitation to these world-class attractions.

“Our locals’ prices also mean tickets are more accessible to residents, empowering them to promote TOL and FOSO to their visiting families and friends, amplifying reach and building community ownership of the experience.

“And with FOSO open in time for Easter – it’s also a great gift idea for visiting relatives and friends!”

New Ticketing Options
Tickets for both installations are now available, with options designed to encourage visitation across both attractions:

Local Residents:

  • Adults $25, Children $12.50, Concession $17.50
  • Family of two adults and two children: $60 per installation, or $90 for a combination ticket

General Admission:

  • Adults $35, Children $15, Concession $22, Family $85
  • Combination tickets for TOL and FOSO available

“What’s really exciting about the new model for residents is our reduced family tickets, with two adults and two children now able to visit either installation for $60 separately, or $90 when purchasing a combination ticket for both installations,” Cr Crossling said.

Wentworth Shire Mayor, Cr Daniel Linklater said, “FOSO is more than an attraction; it is a unique cultural experience that highlights the beauty of Wentworth Shire and invites visitors to explore our region. Early ticketing provides an opportunity for families and friends to plan a visit and experience both FOSO and Trail of Lights during the Easter period.

“These installations are opportunities to showcase our region, increase visitation and length of stay, and encourage visitors to spend widely across our region,” Cr Linklater said.

Since opening in April 2025, thousands of people have visited Trail of Lights, while also enjoying the revamped Rio Vista Park, featuring Jessica Rabbit Café and the TOL Bar.

Local and general admission tickets and combination packages, and gift vouchers for TOL and FOSO are available now by visiting www.mildura.com/lights/tickets

About Trail of Lights
Created by internationally renowned artist Bruce Munro, Trail of Lights is an enchanting fusion of art and nature, integrating 12,500 firefly lights and 22 Gone Fishing sculptures with the natural beauty of the island and the river.
It is a quiet and contemplative experience, immersed within the art, one removed from the rush and stress of our daily lives, and has attracted more than 12,000 visitors since opening in April 2025.

Fibre Optic Symphony Orchestra – A Major New Attraction in Wentworth
FOSO will open in April 2026 between Perry Sandhills and Thegoa Lagoon, Wentworth, providing an immersive artistic experience that combines quintessential Australian landscapes with cutting-edge fibre optic installations. An original orchestral score composed by internationally acclaimed British composer Nainita Desai accompanies the installation, creating a fully immersive visitor experience.

Planning Your Visit
With construction works for FOSO progressing and Bruce Munro’s team scheduled to return in February 2026 for the next stage of development, both Councils encourage visitors to plan their visits early. The joint approach highlights the Mildura-Wentworth region as a key destination for artistic and cultural experiences.

Plan your trip to Wentworth & Surrounds: https://experiencewentworth.com.au

Plan your trip to Tropical North Victoria:
https://mildura.com/plan/plan-your-trip


Buronga Pump Track closure notice

Buronga Pump Track closure notice

The Advanced pump track in Buronga will be closed for the day on Friday 19 December.

Council is installing a new timing sensor that will be available for public use once works are complete. This upgrade forms part of Council’s ongoing investment in improving facilities at the Buronga Riverfront Pump Track.

The track will reopen as soon as installation is finalised. Council thanks the community for its patience while this improvement is carried out.

Extreme Weather – Waste Transfer Stations

To protect the health and safety of staff and the community, Council waste transfer stations will close on days when temperatures exceed 40 Celsius. The Buronga Landfill remains open per normal operating hours.

Please check Council’s website and Facebook page for updates before visiting a transfer station during extreme weather conditions.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Project Update: Nob Road Formation & Drainage Works

Council is completing 10km of formation and drainage works at the southern end of Nob Road. These upgrades are vital for building up low-lying areas to prevent water ponding and to reduce closures during the wet season. 🌧️

The project is 50/50 funded by the Regional Emergency Road Repair Fund (RERRF) and Roads to Recovery programs.

A further 4.8km of re-sheeting is scheduled for completion this financial year.

Please drive carefully around heavy machinery and follow traffic directions. Thank you for your patience as these works improve our shire’s road network.


Footpath Upgrade Works – Sturt Highway, Gol Gol

Footpath Upgrade Update – Sturt Highway, Gol Gol

Please be advised of a temporary closure as part of the shared footpath upgrade works along the Sturt Highway between Drings Hill and the Midway Centre.

The footpath will be closed to all pedestrians on Thursday 13 and Friday 14 November to allow final asphalt works to be completed.

Council apologises for any inconvenience this short-term closure may cause and thanks the community for its patience and understanding.

We look forward to completing this important project soon for the benefit of both residents and visitors.

#WentworthShireCouncil #GolGol #FootpathUpgrade #CommunityUpdate

EnergyConnect Construction – Trentham Cliffs to Sturt Highway

EnergyConnect Construction – Trentham Cliffs to Sturt Highway

Elecnor Australia, on behalf of Transgrid, is installing overhead earth wire as part of the EnergyConnect project, connecting NSW, SA and Victoria grids.

Dates & times: Saturday 11 October–Tuesday 21 October 2025, 7am–6pm weekdays, 8am–1pm Saturdays. Some works outside these hours until December 2025.

What to expect: temporary stops for boats, increased construction vehicles and temporary traffic changes on the Sturt Highway, plus some light, noise and vibration from machinery.

For further details, view the construction notification.

#EnergyConnect #WentworthShire #CommunityNotice


Major Boost to Firefighting Capability

Major Boost to Firefighting Capability

Wentworth Shire Council is proud to have partnered with the NSW Rural Fire Service Lower Western District on the official opening of the enhanced RFS Wentworth Airbase Lower Western Zone, at the Wentworth Aerodrome yesterday. This modern, two-storey facility marks a significant step forward for regional fire safety.

The upgraded airbase features:

  • Two 45,000-litre water tanks
  • Modern radio communications
  • An aircraft loading pump
  • Office and workshop facilities

General Manager Ken Ross said, “this development represents a significant step forward in our commitment to community safety and fire response capability.”

The airbase is a vital asset not only for NSW, but also for Victorian and South Australian emergency services, strengthening the tri-state firefighting network.

The event also saw the handover of five new and enhanced tankers to the Dareton, Ellerslie, Gol Gol, Polia, Pomona and Wentworth FCC brigades—a combined investment of over $1 million—ensuring our local volunteers have the best equipment to protect the community.

Council also commends Team Leader – Civil Projects, Trevor Wilcock, on his outstanding coordination of the project. Superintendent Steve Walker AFSM, District Manager for Lower Western, presented Trevor with a Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of his valued input throughout the Wentworth Airbase Enhancement Project.

Councillors Sue Nichols, Brian Beaumont, and Michael Weeding were in attendance to witness the opening and vehicle handover.

Council thanks the NSW RFS Brigades and Donation Fund for their support and acknowledges the dedication of all RFS members serving the region.

#WentworthShire #NSWRFS #CommunitySafety #FirePreparedness #LowerWesternDistrict #EmergencyServices


Have your say: Help shape the future of transport in the Far West

Have your say: Help shape the future of transport in the Far West

Transport in the Far West is entering an important new phase. Transport for New South Wales is developing a Strategic Regional Integrated Transport Plan (SRITP) for the Far West, to be finalised in early 2026.

Before drafting the Plan, feedback is being sought from communities across the region. Whether it is daily travel, access to essential services, freight movements or connectivity to neighbouring towns — community experience is vital.

Why input matters

  • Ensures the Plan reflects real needs, challenges and opportunities in the region
  • Helps guide where infrastructure and transport services should be prioritised
  • Provides the region with a voice in shaping future transport investments

How to contribute

  1. Visit the Have Your Say – Far West portal to drop a pin on the interactive map, comment on issues, or make a formal submission.
  2. To be involved in engagement activities (such as local workshops or briefings), email: engage.sritps@transport.nsw.gov.au.
  3. Subscribe on the portal to receive updates as the Plan progresses.

Key dates and process

  • Currently: Open for submissions and community input
  • Next phases: Reviewing submissions, drafting the Plan, public exhibition, and reporting back on what was heard

Residents, businesses, community groups and service providers across Wentworth Shire and the wider Far West are encouraged to contribute. This is an important opportunity to help ensure transport networks support connectivity, economic growth and community wellbeing.


New $1.2 Million Compactor Prepares Buronga Landfill for Future Expansion

New $1.2 Million Compactor Prepares Buronga Landfill for Future Expansion

Wentworth Shire Council has invested $1.2 million in a new state-of-the-art landfill compactor for the Buronga Landfill, ensuring the facility is well positioned to meet the demands of its planned long-term expansion.

The new machine, a Bomag BC 773 RB-5, has been purpose-built for landfill operations. Equipped with advanced engineering and GPS-enabled technology, the compactor will increase waste management efficiency, extend the life of landfill cells and provide accurate reporting to the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).

Key features of the Bomag BC 773 RB-5 include:

  • An articulated and oscillating design to maintain four-wheel ground contact for maximum compaction.
  • Offset polygonal steel wheels with 55 cast-iron teeth each, delivering optimal crushing and compacting.
  • Scrapers and wire cutters to prevent waste build-up and entanglements.
  • A Cummins X-15 turbo diesel engine with hydrostatic drive, offering proven performance, fuel efficiency and reduced wear.
  • Operator safety features including rollover protection (ROPS) and a positive-pressure cabin.
  • Trimble GPS system to monitor compaction rates and landfill cell design, supporting accurate EPA reporting and compliance with filling plans.

Council’s investment in the Bomag compactor ensures the Buronga Landfill is equipped with the right technology to manage future demand, minimise operating costs and deliver long-term environmental and financial benefits for the community.