JAPANESE ENCEPHALITIS UPDATE – 26 October 2022
Mosquitos can spread Japanese Encephalitis. It is a rare but serious infection.
Protect yourself from mosquitos by:
- Wear loose and light-coloured clothing with closed shoes while you are outdoors
- Avoid staying outdoors at sunrise and sunset
- Apply insect repellent on skin that contains DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus
- Use insecticide sprays and mosquito coils
- Cover windows and doors with insect screens
- Remove containers with water outside your house where mosquitos can breed
If you have any health concerns and need language support, call TIS 131 450 and ask for Health Direct. Tel 1800 022 222.